{ font-family: Arial!important;}

Followers

Tuesday 25 December 2012

A Very Difficult Scrapbook

In May 2011 we had saved up tokesn in the Sun Newspaper here in the UK and went on a cheap week-end away with my mum, our friend, my husband and two boys to Skegness in a static caravan.  The caravan was nice and the site we stayed on was lovely.  Tragically less than a month later my mum was found collapsed at home and within four hours we were told there was nothing they could do for her.  Her life support was turned off two days later.  My mum was 61.

I had an idea about doing a scrapbook of the time away but in the end decided to do two, one for me and one for our friend.  It's taken about 18 months and certainly has been the hardest craft project I have ever done.  

It's remained unfinished for about 9 months as I needed to do the journalling but I couldn't get my head around it.  Thankfully Mel Heaton who us crafters see on Create and Craft (doing Cricut shows, Copic shows, stamping shows and also scrapbooking shows) came to my rescue.  I was going to type the journalling on the computer but she would constantly say it was important to write things - yikes I thought as I hate my handwriting - but I did as I was told!!  Most of the journalling is done on a LOTV postcard stamp or on the paper used on the scrapbook page.  I just wish I'd have been able to afford lots of 12x12 card so I could do two page layouts but I couldn't and had to go with what I'd got.

The scrapbook is made up of our photos and I have stamped/coloured and cut out various images from Sheena Douglass, Jayne Nesterenko and Glenda Waterworth.  The images have all been coloured in with my Promarkers.  The pages have been finished off with stickers/peel-offs.  
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I added this picture of mum at the end of the scrapbook of her Order of Service as I thought it was a fitting end to the scrapbook.

If it wasn't for scrapbooking programmes on Create and Craft and people like Mel Heaton coming on the show I wouldn't have had the confidence to even start such a scrapbook let alone finish it and let alone do two.  They are both virtually the same apart from some different papers used and different layouts.  I am hoping our friend will like seeing her scrapbook on Christmas Day.  Fingers crossed.

It's going to be our second Christmas without my mum.  It's not easier yet but I know it will come in time.

I am entering this scrapbook into the following challenges:

Papercrafting Journey - Anything goes
Stampin' for the Week-end - Anything goes
The Pink Elephant - Anything goes

2 comments:

Cards By MI said...

How lucky you were to be able to go on that trip with your mum. That it wasn't something that was put to a later date. You will treasure your memories and your scrapbook forever.
With love n hugs
Marie

Sue Jones said...

So Glad that you have been able to get it done and what great memories :) (((hug)))
I also lost my mum suddenly and she was also far too young (62)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx